ERP is a shortened form that stands for enterprise resource planning. So what is enterprise resource planning?
It is a business process management software that is used to organize a company’s daily activities. It manages a business’s core workflow such as reporting, human resources, manufacturing, finances, operations.
Your Company or business requires an operating system that can successfully meld all ongoing business processes together and enable the flow of data to the required departments, and this is where the necessity for ERP software comes in.
What ERP software does is pull detailed information from various departments of your organization like marketing, finance, human resources, processing, production, operations, CRM, E-commerce, supply chain, technology, cloud deployment, legal, customer service, warehouse management, logistics, Procurement, sales, Integration, and others. It makes sure these various departments work hand in hand to ensure smooth and fluidity of operations.
- Incorporating an ERP software system helps to ensure that the information used across your company or business is regularized and based on a common premise and user workflow.
- Because ERP incorporates the principle of a central means of data collection from every department, it is suitable for the swift distribution of data across all of your company’s teams and work platforms.
- It eliminates software overhead incurred from having several standalone databases within a company’s central data storage. Data loss is one of the issues that plague a business especially when it starts to expand its operations, human resources, and activities. An ERP software is your go-to to make sure that every single piece of data is stored, organized, and can easily be retrievable at any point in time it is needed.
- Data unification is also possible for every task performed within your business or organization. This reduces the incidence called Business silos.
- Usage of a standard ERP software reduces the time you spend in the collection, collation, and analysis of data. The software then distributes the data to every individual and system that needs it to fulfill their role and improve workflow.
- It reduces data loss by creating a secure platform where data can be stored and accessed. This is quite different from the problem it creates due to standalone databases.
- It lowers the operational costs that you require to run and manage your organization through the adoption of a general integrated system.
- It enhances communication between the various departments and every data can be unified in one system for team review, not just this, it becomes a single source of truth for the organization.
The best ERP software systems for small and mid-sized businesses are Sap Business One, Microsoft Dynamics, Odoo, ERPNext, WP ERP, Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise, Microsoft Dynamics NAV, and Orion ERP.
The ERP systems for businesses of all scales are SAP S/4HANA, TallyPrime, abas ERP, Buildertrend, Striven, Sage X3 ERP, Epicor ERP 10, and Syspro ERP.
The best ERP solutions for large businesses are Acumatica, NetSuite OneWorld Global ERP, IQMS EnterpriseIQ, Brightpearl, ePROMIS ERP, IFS Applications, and Infor SyteLine ERP.
When choosing an ERP software system, there is no rigid set of rules, but the only thing required of organizations is to choose an ERP software carrier that has a solid reputation and the domain expertise necessary for your particular business. Not just that, the software must cover different aspects of your business as much as possible.
Also, most times, the software will require some training of your workers, do well to inquire if the package covers the training or if the software company has access to or can recommend trainers and trusted consultants for you rather than just selling you the software and leaving your company to grope in the dark. The smaller your business, the more flexible your plan should be.
This article aims to help businesses and companies streamline the best options and find the perfect fit for them according to the size of the business whether small, medium-sized, or large.
SAP Business One is a business management software that integrates and manages business activities containing accounting, sales, inventory, and operations. It targets small and mid-sized businesses and helps them automate all of their day-to-day activities. Gives you greater control of your business and lowers the cost of managing it.
Some of the key features you get with SAP Business One include;
- Accounting: It integrates major accounting activities, such as journal entries and cash low accounts.
- Financial Reporting and Analysis: Marketing management tools are available to help businesses create, track, monitor, and analyze productivity.
- Banking and Reconciliation: You can track your company’s total spending and make changes where necessary. This will to a great extent limit a lot of unaccounted expenditures
- Fixed Asset Management: It has a lot of integrated tools to help automate the accounting activities of your business.
- Reports and Audits
- Master Data Management
- Warehouse and Accounting Integration
- General accounts: SAP lets you optimize your supply department transactions, manage your organization’s budget by keeping track of invoices, receipts, cancellations, and credit memos. When there is an available record of costs, you can plan and schedule all purchasing activities to suit your company’s needs.
SAP Professional license: For a one-time payment of $3,213, the professional license provides users with unhindered access to all of its Business One features. . It is available for $132 per user per month. This package is cloud-hosted.
SAP Limited: For a one-time payment of $1,666, the license provides limited access to and all of its features. It is available for $99 per user per month. It is also cloud-hosted.
SAP Starter: It is a cost-effective package that can be purchased for $1,357. It can effectively cater to a maximum of five users or small startups. There is also an option for cloud-hosted subscriptions for companies who require continuous access to SAP’s features. It has a monthly subscription of $110It is cloud-hosted.
SAP Partner Hosted Version: Through the SAP Partner Hosted version, companies can access a secured network shared with multiple businesses, and because it is a shared plan, it requires a maximum of three users for a one-year plan and users are not eligible for free implementation or software training.
There is a pre-made Project-as-a-Service (PaaS) express edition of SAP Business One that includes an option to pay for subscriptions quarterly, software licensing, cloud hosting, free software implementation, and training. The packages include:
- Financial Only: $645 base fee. $185 Pro, $135 Limited per month.
- SAP Manufacturing: $840 base fee. $220 Pro, $170 Limited per month.
- Field Services: $780 base fee. $210 Pro, $160 Limited per month.
- Basic Distribution/Retail/: $1200 base fee. $295 Pro, $245 Limited per month.
- Advanced Distribution: $1300 base fee. $305 Pro, $255 Limited per month.
Microsoft dynamics 365 helps startups and medium-sized companies optimize their production activities. It helps you get a clearer vision of your business activities. One stellar characteristic of this software is that it is easy to configure, customize and personalize for your department’s needs.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 is different from Microsoft Dynamics Nav in the following ways;
- The 365 software is hosted in Azure servers, users cannot have control of the servers and will not worry about data storage
- Lack of user customization but you can freely add applications from AppSource
- Additional flexibility compared to the Nav software
- Monthly subscription by users with updates from Microsoft without buying the whole package or version
- 365 is generally cheaper than Nav and also cost-effective
One of the key features is that it helps companies achieve a 360-degree view of their organization and facilitates seamless data sharing across all units and especially with bank reconciliation.
They have tailored several subscription plans to suit every business and they are;
Customer Data Platform ERP: It can be purchased for $1,500 per user/month and then $1,000 for every additional user included in the plan. Businesses can purchase the additional Customer Voice model for $200 per user/month.
Sales ERP: There are four plans available for the sales department of organizations, and they are;
- Sales Professional: companies can grab a subscription plan for $65 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month.
- Sales Enterprise: Enterprises can get all features of the software for $95 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month.
- Sales Premium: It is available for $135 per user/month.
- Microsoft Relationship Sales: It requires a monthly payment of $162.
Service ERP: There are also four plans available for the service department of organizations, and they are;
- Customer Service Professional: it is available for $50 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month.
- Customer Service Enterprise: Companies can purchase a subscription plan for $95 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month.
- Field Service: Companies can purchase the plan for $95 per user/month
and $20 for every additional user per month.
- Remote Assist: Companies can purchase a subscription plan for $65 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month.
Marketing ERP: Companies can purchase a subscription plan for $1,500 per user/month and $750 for every additional user per month.
Commerce ERP: It is available for $180 per user/month and $30 for every additional user per month. You can also purchase fraud protection for your business for $1,000 per user/month.
Supply Chain: It is available to companies for $180 per user/month and $30 for every additional user per month.
Human Resource: Companies can purchase a subscription plan for $120 per user/month and $30 for every additional user per month.
Finance: It is available to companies for $180 per user/month and $30 for every additional user per month.
Project management: Enterprises can purchase a subscription plan for $120 per user/month and $30 for every additional user per month.
Small and medium-sized businesses also have the option of subscribing to one of the four packages that come pre-installed with the software’s basic features.
Business Central Essentials: Companies can grab a subscription plan for $70 per user/month.
Business Central Premium: It is available to companies for $100 per user/month.
Customer Service Professional: Companies can purchase a subscription plan for $50 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month.
Sales professional: Take full advantage of the software for your business at the rate of $65 per user/month and $20 for every additional user per month. Connect your business now
Acumatica enables users to automate business transactions and monitor financial activities in real-time.
One of the key features you get with using Acumatica as your ERP software solution is that it targets companies or enterprises whose user base fluctuates, either through attrition, growth, or seasonal expansion. If the condition changes, these companies can easily transition from a cloud model to an on-premises installation and back to the cloud model if the need arises again. All of its features are accessible on all internet-enabled devices because it is a browser-based app.
You can purchase the entire features of the software for $13,000.00 per year, which is inclusive of annual maintenance. Users can also choose between two other licensing plans which are;
Private Cloud: This subscription is billed at $850 per month, with no user restrictions. The minimum user commitment is one year.
Private Cloud Perpetual: This license is billed at a one-time fee of $30,000 plus an 18 percent annual maintenance subscription. Subscriptions. Start now, it is free
It is a Cloud-based/SaaS software solution targeted at medium and large enterprises for planning, monitoring, tracking, and managing their daily business transactions.
It provides a common business management platform for companies that carry out large business operations with multiple subsidiaries. It is only available through a partner/reseller channel. A minimum license plan of 1 year is required when making a purchase.
There are five licensing plans available for medium and large-scale enterprises, and they are;
- Global accounting/ERP: this plan provides all the features of Netsuite’s system solution for $999/month, and $99/user/month for additional tenants.
- Global CRM: it equips businesses with the tools required to track and monitor all transactions for $999/month and $99/user/month for additional users.
- Global eCommerce: For a monthly subscription of $999 per user and $99 for additional users, you can monitor and evaluate your major business transactions.
- Global service resources planning: Pricing starts at $999/month for complete access to the software system and $99/user/month for additional users.
- Global business intelligence: Pricing starts at $999 per month for complete access to the software system and $99 per month for additional users.
NetSuite provides support for all licensing plans. The support plans are–Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
These support packages are provided based on the percentage of your company’s annual contract value. Support is available via the provision of support articles, product documentation, help topics, online FAQs, online user guides, regular tips, and knowledge.
NetSuite Support is required for the users who purchase licenses directly from the vendor. Users that purchase a licensed software via a NetSuite Solution Provider won’t use NetSuite Support but will have to rely on their solution provider for ongoing NetSuite optimization and support needs. Start the free trial now
It is an ERP software solution that will merge all your company’s plans and reduce the downtime spent on every daily business activity.
It particularly helps businesses with mixed-mode of production achieve most of their managerial concerns.
Usually, a one-time licensing fee of $25,000 per user is required irrespective of the type of cloud storage and deployment selected. Learn more about IQMS
SAP S/4HANA helps companies speed up decision-making processes and also incorporate the latest innovations in the business world into their operating system.
SAP’s licensing structure allows enterprises to pay for the features and capacity they require at a particular time. There is a free trial option available to enterprises that are considering using the software.
The license plans are;
Runtime Edition: Enterprises can use all the software’s features for US$15,000 per year.
Database Edition: Pricing is according to the number of memory gigabytes required by the enterprise.
The pricing plans are as follows;
(Note: 1 unit = 64 gigabytes)
- 0–10 units costs US$ 60,000
- 11–20 units costs US$ 50,000
- 21–50 units costs US$ 40,000
- 51–100 units costs US$ 30,000
- 101–150 units costs US$ 25,000
- 151–200 units costs US$ 20,000
- 201–250 units costs US$ 19,000
It helps enterprises to track and manage all their accounting activities and also provides tools to help them record and create customizable business reports. It is suitable for use by small and medium startups.
One of its key features is that it doesn’t require any technical product setup. Once you download the software, then you’re all set up.
There are two licensing plans, and they are;
TallyPrime Silver: It is a standalone plan that accommodates only one user. It is a one-time $241.65 purchase.
TallyPrime Gold: It is a multi-user plan and a one-time $724.95 purchase has to be made to use the software’s features and tools. See the free trial
It integrates a company’s chain of production with other business activities.
It is easy to install, and it has a minimalistic user interface. There is also 24/7 support and provision of resources for new startups.
There are three subscription plans and enterprises are free to use any plan that suits their business needs.
Self-Service Plan: Users can choose between the monthly payment option of $6.00 or an annual payment of $72.00.
Success Pack: The billing starts at $977.50 annually.
With a Local Partner Plan: This license is perfect for companies with over 50 users. The billing starts at $330.00 monthly or $3,960.00 annually. Start now, It’s free
It is a multichannel ERP software solution that ensures the connection of all the business transactions carried out at time intervals. It is software that is for medium to large-scale trading companies, retailers, and merchants.
There are two pricing plans and they are;
Brightpearl Order Management Solution: It focuses on businesses with 1,500 orders per month. It has a subscription plan of $375.00 per month for only three users. Each additional user implementation costs $35.63. It accommodates up to five users per plan. It helps to merge the following business operations;
- Order management
- Inventory management
- Shipping and logistics
- Accounts and invoices
- Purchase and supply chain
- Payments and receipts
- Integration with E-commerce websites and providers.
Brightpearl ERP System: It focuses on businesses with over 1,500 orders per month. It also accommodates an unlimited number of users. It costs $375.00 per month for only three users and an additional cost of $5,938.49 as a set-up fee. Each additional user implementation costs $35.63. Request a demo
It helps small startups and trading companies optimize all ongoing business transactions.
One of the key features is that it has averagely billed licenses and no additional fees for the software’s implementation. Enterprises can also get two months free when they purchase a yearly plan.
Billing for the WP ERP Pro starts at $9.99 per month and $1 for every additional user. It comes pre-packaged with 9 premium software extensions. The pricing plans for enterprises that wish to include HRM solutions in their subscription package are as follows;
- Training: $2.49 per month.
- Payroll: $9.49 per month.
- Workflow: $9.49 per month.
- Reimbursement: $4.99 per month.
- Custom Field Builder: $4.99 per month.
- Recruitment: $9.49 per month.
- Attendance: $4.99 per month.
- Document Manager: $2.49 per month.
- SMS Notification: $2.99 per month.
- Asset Manager: $3.49 per month.
The pricing plans for enterprises that wish to include CRM solutions in their subscription package are as follows;
- WooCommerce Integration: $5.99 per month.
- Deals: $9.49 per month.
The pricing plans for enterprises that wish to include Accounting solutions in their subscription package are as follows;
- Payment Gateway: $4.99 per month.
- Inventory: $4.99 per month.
It is a software solution that enables enterprises to manage daily business activities including accounting, payroll, supply chain, HRM, production, sales, purchase, and CRM processes using a merged dashboard. One of the key features is that it is open-source and has a lot of free features.
The basic open-source software is free to use, but it may not include custom features.
Cloud-Based Hosting: You can get access to custom features that are not included in the free version for $25.00 per month. This price only covers one feature and every additional feature requires $25.00. The subscription plan covers a minimum of 5 users per month. Start the free trial
If your business or startup has between 50-2,000 employees, then this ERP solution is for you. It operates via a browser-based web client and targets biomedical, processing, distribution, fabrication, and production enterprises, helping them streamline and optimize their accounting and production processes.
There is no free trial, and pricing starts at $149.00 per month. abas ERP also provides users with unlimited software and licensing upgrades, interactive training, 24/7 support, and videos on how to use the software come with each package for every registered user through the abas academy. Request a demo.
It offers enterprises the option to integrate AI-based features to monitor sales, accounts, customer service, production, invoices, supply, and dispatch. It saves you tons of working hours by automating business processes. Its features are customizable and it runs on a web-based client, Android, and iOS devices.
It comes with a 30-day free trial service with no credit card details required.
The Express Plan is $25 per user, per month. The plan covers 5 users and an additional bill of $25 for every extra user. Request a demo here
It delivers a unique business management platform for construction, production, and design companies.
Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise Gold: It is $1489.50 per year. You also get a 10% discount for the 1st subscription year. Training and helpful videos on how to navigate the software are available for enterprises at a one-time payment of $3,000. If you require hosting services with the gold plan, then you have to pay a monthly subscription of $126.80 or $1521.60 per year.
Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise Silver with Hosting:
It provides all the functionality, support, and guidance for small and medium-scale enterprises. It requires a monthly subscription of $118.20 per user.
Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise Platinum with Hosting: It helps construction companies, wholesalers, contractors, trading companies and retailers manage their end-to-end business dealings. It requires a monthly subscription of $129.00.
Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise Diamond with Hosting: It requires a monthly subscription of $312.00, or a yearly plan of $3744 per user. Check it out now
Its primary aim is to help construction and production enterprises have a unified platform for monitoring and managing production activities daily.
Buildertrend Core: Companies can take advantage of the software’s unique business solution for $299 per month. Some features included in the plan are;
- End-to-end project management.
- Increased communication and transfer of data between employees and clients.
- Improved budgeting and invoice collation through the provision of financial tools.
Buildertrend Pro: Level up with more custom tools to increase your business’s productivity for a monthly subscription of $499.
Some features included in the plan are;
- Integration of all an enterprise’s core production activities using a unified platform.
- Streamlined data storage and improved onboarding for new users.
The software also comes with a free trial period for intending users. Start the free trial
Microsoft Dynamics Nav is different from Microsoft Dynamics enterprise. They are purchased as a different pack though they share the same databases. The key features exclusive to the nerve are Warehousing, cost accounting, and manufacturing. The Microsoft Dynamics Nav differs from the Microsoft Dynamics 365 in the following ways;
- restricted flexibility for each user and each user needs to purchase his license.
- High customization of the software using the source code by users
- Users which to have their servers
It is an enterprise resource planning software solution for many businesses. It reduces the time spent moving from one workflow to another. It can only be purchased via a Microsoft Dynamics Partner or Value-Added Reseller (VAR). The VAR dealers will help you install, host, and launch the software package. If you choose to have the software deployed on your premises, the required hardware, and infrastructure for hosting the software application will be provided by you.
There are two subscription plans available, and they are;
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Starter Pack: You can get a subscription plan for $5,000, which includes three users or tenants. Additional users cost $3,000.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Extended Pack: This plan gives enterprises access to manufacturing and accounting features that are absent in the starter pack. The plan costs $10,000 and $3,000 for additional users. Companies can also choose to include read-only users (the full features of the software are not available to people under this category) in this subscription plan for $600.
and self-service users (users that do not require hosting and usage support) for $125.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Cloud: to have access to the software’s cloud storage, you will have to pay $185 per user each month if you are on the starter pack, and $400 per user each month if you are on the extended pack. Start the overview
Striven creates a unified platform that improves work visibility and communication between your business and its shareholders.
30-day trial service is available to intending users.
There are different pricing packages, and they are;
Free Version: Striven offers a free version that can be used by new or small startups to manage their financial activities. It accommodates up to 10 customers, vendors, and applications per month.
Customer Portal Pack: This plan can include up to 20 users for a subscription fee of $20 per user plus $99 for monthly hosting.
Vendor Portal Pack: This plan can include up to 50 users for a subscription fee of $15 per user plus $299 for monthly hosting.
Career Portal Pack: It includes an unlimited number of users for a subscription fee of $10 per user plus $499 for monthly hosting.
Striven Plan-1: It is available for enterprises for $49 for each user per month. It provides support for up to 50 customers, vendors, and applications.
Striven Plan-2: It is available to enterprises for $99 for each user per month. It provides support for up to 100 customers, vendors, and applications.
Striven Plan-3: It is available to enterprises for $199 for each user per month. It provides support for up to 500 customers, vendors, and applications.
Striven Plan-4: It is available to enterprises for $499 for each user per month. It provides support for an unlimited number of users. Try it free here
It helps you stay within your budget, organize your business with project planning, manage business activities, and utilize collaboration tools to speed up the workflow within an enterprise.
It is a complete ERP software solution that helps manufacturing companies and warehouses achieve optimal business processes.
They do not have a free version plan, neither do they offer free software trials.
The software’s pricing is a one-time payment of $250,000 per user. An unlimited number of users can be added to the plan and It is deployed through cloud services, SaaS, and web-based client providers. Purchase and add many users now!
It is an extremely flexible, and extensive ERP software solution that caters to enterprises of all levels.
It specifically targets production, distribution, and manufacturing companies.
It does not include modules for human resources (HR).
Syspro ERP lets you purchase just the modules you need, and change them as your business progresses or shifts base.
Enterprises have to pay $199.00 per month for each user to access the software’s basic features. Its pricing policy for on-premise software deployment are as follows;
- Single User: $12,100 per month.
- 5 Users: $14,400 per month.
- 10 Users: $16,800 per month.
- 25 Users: $25,000 per month.
- 100 Users: $29,60 per month.
- Enterprises pay between $25,0000 to $500,000 per month.
It provides businesses with various tools to manage their teams and accounting activities.
Epicor’s licenses are usually tied to a specific user so they can’t be shared with other users. Deploying the software to cloud-based storage or SaaS also requires additional costs for maintenance and upgrades.
The license-based pricing generally ranges between $4,000 to $500,000 per year. There are two licensing options available and they are;
Epicor ERP perpetual license: It costs $40,000 a year for 10users.
Epicor ERP Subscription-based Pricing: It costs $175 per
month for each user to access the base system features. Start a free trial
The software offers certification and training for users and the cost of certification programs starts at $250 per user. Each certification is valid for 90 days and unless users pass the exam for a new version, the certification will be invalid.
There is an option for a license or subscription-based plan.
On-premise deployment typically starts at $42,000 per year for 10
users, plus annual maintenance and support agreement. Start simplifying your manufacturing process now!
They offer online training at the rate of $1,500 per user to $2,800 per user, with the duration ranging from 3 to 5 days.
The installation of the software for mid-sized businesses ranges from $150,000 to $1M, and $1M to $10M+ for large enterprises.
The price for a license ranges from a one-time payment of $1,000-$4,999 per user. The license can be used by up to 40 users.
There is an IFS Application 8.0 that is specifically for large enterprises and it ranges from a one-time payment of $300,000 to $2M for 40 to 5,000 users. Learn more
It helps enterprises achieve their business goals.
A license costs $2,600 and $45,000/year per user. It can accommodate up to 10 users.
There are two licensing plans;
Perpetual license: It is available for $26,640 per year.
Sage ERP X3 Version 7: The price starts at $2,600 per user for the cloud-based or SaaS model. It has a user base of up to 1000+ and allows up to 3,300 installations. Explore Sage X3 ERP now
Types of ERP Planning Systems
Knowing this is very important when choosing the best software for you.
Proprietary versus Open source system ERP: Open source allows the users to alter the source codes and make other modifications, while the proprietary system allows only certified consultants or experts to do such alterations.
Suites versus Best of Breeds ERP: ERP systems can be based on different implementation methods and usage. Best of breeds software brings all modules together. This makes it hard for users to access individual features. Suites, on the other hand, make different modules and features separate hence users have more flexibility on the features to use.
Vertical or Generic ERP: A vertical ERP is tailored for a specific business, company, or organization. It can be wholly manufacturing or warehousing for financial. The downside to this is that users can hardly modify it to suit any function different from the one it is made for. On the other hand, a generic ERP can be used by any business or company that does not have specific requirements. They can easily modify it to their desired features.
Development of Software: Some ERP systems have full control of their products and only allow users to create extensions and applications while others give their users the leverage to change modules and alter the source codes.
Implementation of ERP can either be through big bang or phased, this should also determine the choice of the best software to use.
- Do I need to pay for installation?
Some applications come with free installations, while some require you to pay for installation separately. Other applications already have the installation fee included in the licensing plan.
- Do I get free training and support with each purchase?
Some applications offer free training, while others charge a fee for training and also provide soft copy certification.
- Is there an option for requesting a custom quote?
Yes, you can contact customer service for the particular software you want to use.
- Does every software solution provide a free product trial option?
Some applications offer free trial periods, while other applications don’t. You have to ask for this before purchasing a plan